Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Back in my day...

I had a conversation with someone about old school computers today. We laughed hysterically over floppy disks, MS Dos, Oregon Trail, etc. It really is crazy how quickly things catch on, evolve and just take over. Facebook was invented while I was in college (by a guy my age- depressing, I know). It evolved so quickly and now even my grandmom has a Facebook page!

I lived for a game called Quink. It was a HUGE floppy disk. It only consisted of one color, green, and was incredibly simple. In 1992- it was mind blowing! If I showed that to a kid today, they would laugh in my face. Who remembers Prodigy? Encarta? The Incredible Machine? Dial up internet??!!

I know folks older than me have me beat with Atari and no computers whatsoever, but still I feel pretty old.  I literally used the phrase "Back in my day..." today. At what age does it become a phrase you are comfortable using? Soon, I'll be referring to 21 year olds as whipper snappers and telling stories about how I had to walk to school in the snow, up hill both ways.

This made me think about how life has changed in the past 10 years. Stress, responsibilities, bills... none of these things existed. My "stress" was grades, my "responsibilities" were homework and a part time job and "bills" were non-existent. I will be a stereotypical girly girl and refer to Sex and the City-

"When you're young, your whole life is about the pursuit of fun, then you grow up and learn to be cautious; you could break a bone, or a heart. You look before you leap and sometimes you don't leap at all because there's not always someone there to catch you. And in life, there is no safety net. When did it stop being fun and start being scary?" ~ Carrie Bradshaw

No comments:

Post a Comment